Monday, March 4, 2019

Late Winter In The Tyro's Corner

THE TYRO’S CORNER
By Eileen Novak
Previously published on Blogger.com.  Reprinted with permission of the author.
I enjoy the winter here in North Carolina.  Of course, much of that has to do with the fact that I grew up north of Buffalo, New York. I can remember when we would get Halloween costumes, and needing to be sure that it would fit over a snowsuit.
And the snow.  It is rumored that the Eskimos have many words for snow, referring to the texture, the weight, whether or not it’s good for igloos or just snowballs. In Buffalo, we have lots of words for it too, none of which are suitable to print in this publication.
So that’s why I like it here in the South.  For the most part, I can look out and see trees, not mounds of snow.  In the parking lots of stores, there are actual spaces, not the 2- or 3- story height of piled snow and dirt that grows all winter – and takes till July to finally melt away.  And here in the South you can actually GROW things during the winter.
Of course it would be nicer if I could get my husband to EAT the things that grow in winter here in the south.  Sadly, his enjoyment of kale is severely lacking. His appreciation for collards is non-existent and his tolerance of Brussels sprouts is not. Just not.
With no gardening to do, I actually have almost an entire season to rest.  I have been reading a great deal this winter. I have perused the gardening catalogs that filled my mailbox. I have a plan for a garden that my grandchildren will enjoy exploring:  growing cotton, different colored radishes, carrots, beans and peas. And the odd vegetables: curling cucumbers, yard-long beans, brown and purple tomatoes.
Last year I planted 3 different colors of pea seeds around the 15th of February and they did well… until the crows and the deer found them.  So instead of being noble and sharing with the deer again this year, I am already planning on installing the 8-foot fence that so discouraged them a few years ago.  I fully intend to throw some seeds out in the pollinator field that we have, just to let them know I still like them, just not in my garden. I don’t yet know what to do with the crows.  I put out bird netting one year, only to be horrified that it captured and killed a mockingbird. The funeral was heartbreaking.
So while I am relaxing now, I’ll be working again soon and looking forward to the challenge.
Remember to learn from the mistakes of others - you don't have time to make them all yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment